Looking for a space for your next event? Umbrella Studio Contemporary Arts can cater to your needs – whether they are creative, social or corporate. Umbrella is conveniently located within walking distance to most hotels and businesses in the Townsville CBD and near the Townsville Bus Hub. Venue hires may be booked in either space during the gallery’s regular opening hours (Tues-Fri 9am-5pm | Sat-Sun 9am-1pm), however must consider public access to the exhibitions on display. Functions may alternatively be booked for Mondays, weekend afternoons or evenings to guarantee privacy. See also our Hens Parties, Art Parties & Life Drawing page for other function options at Umbrella.
Umbrella offers two spaces for hire:
The Umbrella gallery presents a schedule of exhibitions featuring art works from across the North Queensland region, and is a suitable venue for a wide range of activities. Host your cocktail, birthday or Christmas party here, or your networking or team-building function. Hire of this space includes use of the following facilities and equipment:
– Street-front access from Flinders St (next to Mary Who? Bookshop and opposite Woolworths) or via a side-door for accessibility ramp
– Floor area for standing and sitting – up to
150 72 people as per our COVID-safe plan
– Air-conditioning (and floor fans if required)
– Up to 50 chairs, 25 stools (varying heights) and 5 fold-out tables
– Access to small kitchenette facilities (microwave, fridge and bench space)
– Access via stairs to a toilet and wash-basin; alternatively, toilets are available in the Woolworths complex directly across the road
– Free exhibition tours from gallery staff if booked in advance (during opening hours)
– Stairway access toilets and a wash-basin
– During COVID-19 restrictions, Umbrella will provide hand sanitiser throughout the space
– Projector screen or blank wall space
– Access to a water cooler (cups not provided)
Images above: (left) PechaKucha venue hire, 2020 featuring speaker Gerald Soworka; and (right) an oil painting workshop in the Makerspace run by Emily Donaldson, 2020.
The Makerspace is often used for art workshops, community group meetings, short-term artist residencies or other activities. Hire of this space includes use of the following facilities and equipment:
– Access to the space via stairs down through the gallery space (wheelchair access can be arranged in advance via a back entry)
– Floor area – standing and sitting space for up to
50 26 people as per our COVID-safe plan
– Ceiling fans, floor fans if required and fresh air via a side-door
– 2 work benches (taller than regular tables) and approx 15 tall stools
– Up to 50 chairs (by prior booking), 15 small stools and 5 fold-out tables
– Access to a toilet and wash-basin; alternatively, toilets are available in the Woolworths complex directly across the road
– Up to 14 easels (for an additional hire fee)
– Use of printing presses and art materials (for additional hire fees with approved artists, pending review from Umbrella’s Makerspace Facilitators).
For more information on venue hire please contact us.