Expressions of interest are now open for Umbrella Studio’s Grand Hotel Townsville Artist in Residence program.
Umbrella Studio’s makerspace and outdoor street art carpark provides a flexible space for visual artists to develop new work in any medium. The spaces are suited for interdisciplinary artists and those who have an interest in self directed approach to research and development.
We welcome proposals from individuals or artistic collaborations that push the boundaries of their medium, are conceptually, formally or technologically ambitious and which contribute to current cultural or art form developments. We consider all proposals in the context of our endeavour to provide a rich, varied and high quality program. Umbrella staff will be available to provide mentoring support while the artist is in residence.
The Grand Hotel Townsville Artist in Residence
The Grand Hotel Townsville Artist in Residence (AIR) began in 2015. The purpose of the residencies is to; bring artists to Townsville to work in the studio, contribute to our open studio environment, to share your skills/experience with local artists and the community through delivering a masterclass.
Expressions of interest are welcome from artists, curators and arts professionals living in Queensland, interstate or internationally. In 2019 we have four residency opportunities – we will select three artists within Australia and one artist from overseas.
To support you with your residency, Umbrella Studio will provide:
– Access to studio/makerspace for up to 10 full days during normal operational hours (9 am – 5 pm Monday to Friday | 9am – 1pm Sundays)
– An artist fee to cover the cost of your time in delivering an artist talk/masterclass for us, and to support your travel/living costs. The fees are: $1,000 international artist (1) | $700 national artists (3)
– Umbrella Studio has the following equipment available for your use: 1 x lithography press, lithography stones, 1 x large etching press, 2 x small etching presses, 1 x 3D printer, 1 x laser printer, 1 x metal guillotine, various printmaking rollers, 3 x large working tables.
– Delivering one artist talk/open studio session and half day workshop/masterclass (3hrs)
– Further masterclasses or a longer masterclass may be offered for an additional fee to be negotiated by the gallery and the artist
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
– The artist must arrange and pay for their own flights, accommodation and ground transport to and from the gallery as needed.
– The artist must supply/bring their own laptop and/or other art materials as required for the residency (e.g. paper, paint, inks, clay etc)
|Monday 20 May – Wednesday 29 May 2019||23 April 2019|
|Monday 05 August – Wednesday 14 August 2019||01 July 2019|
|Monday 30 September – Wednesday 9 October 2019||2 September 2019|
|Monday 11 November – Wednesday 20 November 2019||14 October 2019|
Click here to apply for this residency opportunity. For further questions, please contact us.