Compact Prints 2020
10th Compact Prints ~ International Print Exhibition & Exchange
2 October – 15 November 2020
Umbrella Studio Contemporary Arts invites artists working in traditional and digital print media to participate in our international print exhibition and exchange.
Compact Prints was first held in 2002, originally conceived and curated by Rebekah Butler. The exhibition welcomed international artists in 2004 and has continued as a biennial exhibition ever since. The exhibition is greatly appreciated and anticipated. It is shared widely via printmaking organisations, artist participants’ networks and online. Many of the artists who have previously exchanged artworks now correspond all around the world. Compact Prints 2020 is a celebration of contemporary print practices, embracing traditional and technological methods. The project provides artists with a forum to exchange artwork and ideas. It also provides an opportunity to exhibit in a contemporary art space while supporting Umbrella through its fundraising auction. Read more about Umbrella here.
Artists can register (including paying an $25.00 AU administration fee), submit artwork details and post / deliver 3 identical prints (from 1 edition) to Umbrella by the outlined deadlines. 1 print is exhibited (and kept by Umbrella for archiving and potential touring); 1 is auctioned as a fundraiser for Umbrella to assist with event and touring costs; and 1 print is posted as an artwork exchange with another participant, through a random selection process. The exhibition, artworks and details will also be documented and presented digitally.
Artwork restrictions & recommendations
Participating artists need to provide 3 prints from 1 artwork edition. The paper size of each print must measure 12 x 12cm and the print may be any size on that paper (including full-page bleeds). Prints that are oversized may be omitted or cropped. Prints can include other materials / methods (e.g. chine-collé, stitching) provided that a form of printing is the primary method, and that each of the 3 prints is identical. Umbrella encourages artists to print on high-quality acid-free paper. Digital prints cannot just be photographs – they must be manipulated. There is no set theme however Umbrella reserves the right to monitor or refuse work that may cause offence to the general public. The prints must be newly created (after 1 January 2019).
Registration for the 2020 exhibition is required by midnight Sunday 6 September 2020.
To pay for your registration, read the full exhibition details (including terms and conditions below) then pay here. The purchase process will require you to enter your shipping details at checkout.
*NEW* Registration + Workshops
For artists in North Queensland Australia, Umbrella is running a series of printmaking workshops to produce eligible Compact Prints (prices include the $25 registration). Read more details at the links:
Linocut Printing Workshop | 9:30am-12:30pm Sunday 30 August 2020 | $100 – $130
Acetate Drypoint Etching Workshop | 9:30am-12:30pm Sunday 6 September 2020 | $100 – $130
Transfer Release Printing Workshop | 9:30am-12pm Sunday 13 September 2020 | $100 – $130
Compact Prints Workshop Series Bundle | All three of the above workshops & one registration payment for a discounted price | $240 – $280
Artwork details must be submitted by 5pm Friday 18 September 2020.
A high-resolution artwork image, full artwork details and a brief artist statement must be submitted here after registration. Please ensure that your contact / address details are current, as that address is where your print will be sent by return post after the exhibition.
Artworks must also be received by Umbrella by 5pm Friday 18 September 2020.
If you are sending your artwork by post, please ensure you send it well in advance of this due date, as COVID-19 has caused extensive delays with Australian and international postal deliveries.
Umbrella strong encourages entrants to use Express Post if possible, and recommends international artists to send works with at least 6 weeks’ lead time and Australian artists to send with at least 2 weeks’ lead time prior to 18 September 2020. Artworks received after the due date will not be exhibited.
If delivering your work in person, please deliver during Umbrella’s regular opening hours (9am-5pm Mon-Fri / 9am-1pm Sat-Sun) to 408 Flinders St, Townsville QLD. Send your artworks by post to Umbrella Studio Contemporary Arts, PO Box 2394, Townsville, Qld, 4810 Australia.
Exhibition & exchange details
|OPENING||6pm Friday 2 October 2020|
|ON DISPLAY||2 October - 15 November 2020|
|AUCTION||Time and date TBC. Umbrella is considering live-streaming this year's auction for those who cannot attend in person to bid. Those bidding from outside of Townsville will also need to pay for the postage of their work.|
|EXCHANGE||From 15 November 2020, Umbrella randomly selects pairings for artwork exchanges. Each participant also receives a copy of a letter detailing which artist received their exchange print.|
See the full 2002 – 2018 exhibition archive here.
“Taking part in Compact Prints is a wonderful and honourable opportunity for me to present my art and also to discover the art of the Australian and international printmakers.”
~ Temenuga Hristova, Bulgaria
“It is great to have work situated within an alternative cultural context, and to make contact with other artists and individuals through exhibiting in different countries, even if I have not been there! I love to hear of the stories and situations that develop around art making in different places.”
~ Natasha Rosling, United Kingdom
Terms and conditions
1. The project, artwork restrictions, registration, artwork details and artwork delivery details are all outlined above and must be adhered to by participants. Umbrella reserves the right to postpone or extend dates for coronavirus restrictions or any other reason.
2. Umbrella Studio Association Incorporated will handle all works with care. However, no responsibility will be taken for works damaged or lost in transit.
3. A $25.00 AU registration fee is required for all Australian and International participants for Compact Prints 2020. Artist name and contact details must be included with the payment. The fee secures your participation, covers administration fees and postage for the exchange. It is non-refundable if for any reason you are unable to participate after submission of this payment. International payment providers may take additional fees outside of Umbrella’s control. By purchasing this registration ticket you agree to adhere to all terms and conditions as outlined. Please ensure you fill out your shipping details correctly when purchasing this registration at checkout, as that is where your return print will be sent.
4. Each artist must (and is limited to) present 1 artwork edition with three prints.
5. You agree to notify Umbrella Studio if you are not able to complete the exchange. This will allow for another artist to participate.
6. Artist participants are responsible for the cost of producing the work and posting / delivering it to Umbrella Studio Contemporary Arts. Umbrella will pay the return postage of the exchange print via Australia Post, but accepts no liability for works damaged or lost in transit.
7. By participating, registering and submitting artwork images and details, artists agree to exhibiting their work in Umbrella’s gallery (and any subsequent tours), having their work reproduced online and in print (including use for promotional purposes). Should an artist’s image be used for promotion, Umbrella will endeavour to credit the artist whenever possible.