The Grand Hotel Townsville Artist in Residence
Artists in residences & masterclasses
The Grand Hotel Townsville Artist in Residence (AIR) began in 2015. The purpose of the residencies is to bring artists to Townsville to work in the studio and facilitate masterclasses for Umbrella members and others. Our objectives are:
- for artists to develop new work inspired by the tropics and our unique landscape,
- inspire and invigorate local artists through exposure to new concepts and methodology and,
- increase recognition of Townsville and Umbrella Studio as a place of excellence in the Australian artist community.
Umbrella Studio encourages you to use your time here to experiment, develop new ideas, and interact with other artists and the community. It should be a time of exploration for you, and we will help in whatever way we can to assist you. We invite artists nationally and internationally to apply for 2019. Each year we select one artist within Australia and the other from overseas.
Each residency period is 7 full days (Friday – Friday) followed by the masterclass workshop delivered on Saturday and Sunday.
Umbrella Studio contemporary arts will provide:
- Reimbursement of reasonable travel costs to Townsville for example: Economy flights and transfers by bus, rail, or long-term airport parking. Taxi fares will not be reimbursed unless the artist can provide evidence the cost is less than the other three options. The artist must provide receipts for expenses to be reimbursed, up to a maximum totalled value of AUD$1,500 from all receipts.
- 24/7 access to the print studio space and its equipment
- A workshop facilitator fee for 2 full days (9am-5pm) @ AU$450 per day
- A workshop technician for the workshop for 2 full days (9am-5pm) of Umbrella Studio’s choice
- Materials for the 2 day workshop
The Artist will provide:
- Their own materials for the residency period
- Food and drink expenses
- Transportation costs within Townsville
- Artist talk and Open studio session
- 2 day workshop
- Photo consent
Previous artists in residence have included:
Kathy Boyle, Printmaker – New Zealand
Janet Parker-Smith, Printmaker – Sydney
Ray Besserdin, Paper Sculpture artist – Melbourne
Jacqueline Aust, Printmaker – New Zealand
I Made Griyawan, Painter – Bali
Barbie Kjar, Printmaker – Tasmania
About out Studio
Our Studio space is fully equipped as a printmaking studio with 3 etching presses (2 small, one large), and a lithography press accompanied with the various necessary tools. However, we use the studio for plenty of other workshops and art making activities other than printmaking. We encourage all types of artists to apply for the residency, not just printmakers.