- This event has passed.
Portrait Painting Workshop with Andrew Bonneau
28 April, 2018 @ 9:00 am - 30 April, 2018 @ 5:00 pm| See below for prices
In this workshop students will spend 3 days developing a single painting of the portrait from life. This is a unique opportunity to spend an extended period carefully looking and understanding the structural complexity of the human head in relation to a light source. The emphasis will be on the accurate observation of the model. Beginning from an initial ‘block in’ in graphite, we will proceed to develop a refined drawing which we will then transfer to canvas to begin painting. All aspects of the process will be discussed and demonstrated, such as proportion, anatomy, perspective, conceptualisng the model in relation to the light source, modelling form, colour theory and paint handling. Some drawing and painting will help, but the workshop is suitable for all levels. We will be working from the model for the entire workshop.
What to Bring:
- Oil Paint – (Windsor and Newton oil colours recommended, not Winton student grade) White (Lead, Flake or Titanium), Cadmium Yellow light, Cadmium Red Scarlet, Cadmium Orange, Yellow Ochre, Raw Sienna , Terra Rosa, Venetian Red, Burnt Sienna, Raw Umber, Burnt Umber and Ivory Black.
- Odourless Solvent
- Palette knife Canvas – A fine grade of Belgian Linen is recommended. I prefer Classens 13 Double primed but something similar would be fine. The idea is to have minimal texture. You could also use primed panel. Canvas should be stretched on stretcher bars. Around 9 x 12 inches or larger would be suitable
- Brushes- a selection of small to medium sized Sable or synthetic brushes are recommended. Sizes 000, 00, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, etc…
- HB pencils
- Kneaded eraser
- Blade and sandpaper for sharpening pencils
- Paper – Any medium or low textured paper will be fine. About 18 x 24 inches, a few sheets
- Small mirror
Andrew has been selected as finalist for many national painting awards, including the Adelaide Perry Drawing Prize, the Stanthorpe Regional Gallery Art Prize, the Benalla Nude Art Prize, the Percival National Portrait Prize and the Shirley Hannan National Portrait Prize. He has been twice selected as a finalist for the AME Bale Travelling Art Scholarship and three times for the Moran Portrait Prize. He was recently selected as a finalist for the Archibald Prize for 2017. You can read Andrew’s CV and more about his background by visiting his website: www.andrewbonneauart.com/about.html
Members Price $500 – Please log in to receive this discount.