About Our Education Program
Umbrella Studio’s STArt – Student & Teacher Art: Programs for Schools presents a dynamic program of creative learning opportunities via guided tours, education resources, artist talks, workshops and public programs connecting with teachers, students, schools and James Cook University to promote the contemporary visual arts in North Queensland. While the Gallery’s programs are primarily concerned with the Visual Arts, many are cross-curricula – encouraging the connection of ideas, processes, skills and knowledge. The Gallery also presents professional development workshops for teachers. All education programs are free, unless stated otherwise — we love to support teachers in developing their own visit schedules and activities to make visiting the art gallery is an inexpensive and educational experience.
The Gallery’s education programs aim to:
- encourage students to directly engage with artworks, concepts and processes in unique and creative ways
- encourage students to describe, analyse, interpret and evaluate artworks
- present meaningful, student-centred learning activities
- present cross-curricula learning opportunities
- connect students and teachers with industry professionals
Umbrella Studio creates education resources to support some local and touring exhibitions. These resources include suggestions for developing tasks and activities and are provided for educational purposes only. We encourage any feedback to help us improve our programs.
To keep up to date with exhibitions, public programs and gallery information, sign up to our eNews.
To book a school visit contact email@example.com
or telephone 07 4772 7109